When it comes to a runDisney race weekend, there are a lot of resort options on Walt Disney World property. However, one option that is often overlooked are the deluxe villas.
Also known as Disney Vacation Club properties, these deluxe villas offer extra space and amenities. Let’s take a look!
Deluxe villas are available at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney’s Beach Club Resort, Disney’s Boardwalk Inn, Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. The two resorts that only offer deluxe villa accommodations are Disney’s Old Key West Resort and Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort.
In terms of room types, there are a few options. A deluxe studio is available, however this is very similar to a regular room, with the addition of a kitchenette that includes a microwave and toaster. It’s the villas that start to offer much more! The 1-bedroom villa includes a bedroom, bathroom (with whirlpool tub), living room area (with sleeper sofas) and a fully-equipped kitchen. The 2-bedroom villas include 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room area (with sleeper sofas) and a fully-equipped kitchen. There are even grand villas for those wanting more space and unique layouts! Another great addition is a washer and dryer, allowing for quick cleaning of those running clothes.
As for runDisney race weekends, these deluxe villas can be very useful. With the extra space, it allows everyone to not trip over one another in the room. The ability to close the bedroom door is also helpful, especially if you are traveling with non-runners who will not be getting up at 2:30 am. Of course, the kitchen is extremely convenient for those wanting to cook their own meals!
While the deluxe villas can be more expensive, it may be worth it for many reasons. First of all, if you are traveling with a group, you can split the cost making it more affordable. (Not to mention, you also have more room!) You can also save on meals by stopping at a grocery store and utilizing the kitchen, as opposed to eating all of your meals at the resort or in the parks.
A few things to note when researching these deluxe villas for your next runDisney race weekend:
- Each resort offers various room sizes. Be sure to check out the square footage to get the most bang for your buck.
- Check to see what resorts will be offering transportation for your race.
- If you have family members or friends who will be spectating, be sure to check our resort reviews (or the spectator chapter in the book) to find out if your race course is nearby!
- Disney Vacation Club members do have “first dibs” on these deluxe villa accommodations. You will not be able to book these accommodations until approximately 7 months from your time of travel, so have a plan B in place.
- The newest locations – Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa and Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort – will be the most popular and therefore, may not have space available.