Maybe you are thinking that you could never be a runner. Sure the runDisney events sound fun, but you can’t imagine training for a 5K, 10k, half marathon, or even a runDisney challenge.
Well you are very wrong! Or at least Jeff Galloway thinks so.
Jeff Galloway was an All-American collegiate athlete. He was part of the 1972 Olympic team in the 10000 meters (10K), and he has been running ever since. He could have easily chosen to work with elite athletes, but instead, he chose to help anyone become a runner. And he means anyone.
Jeff created the run/walk/run method. This is an interval program that focuses on running for a specific time period, followed by a walk interval. The intervals continue throughout your training and event.
Why run/walk? There are many reasons. For starters, your mind can wrap itself around running for a short period of time. Have you ever caught yourself thinking, I can run for 2 minutes? I can speed up my walk for 1 minute? It’s a lot easier to run or speed things up for a short period of time, especially if you know there is a walk break afterward.
Another reason is that the walk breaks allow your body time to recover. This means that you don’t get as fatigued as quickly, and can go farther – and most likely even faster – than you think! And, as an added bonus, you will be less sore and recover faster after a run.
Principles behind Run Walk Run:
• Continuous use of a muscle will result in quicker fatigue
• The longer the run segment, the more fatigue
• Run Walk Run is a form of interval training
• Conservation of resources
• Quicker recovery
• Less stress on the “weak links”
• Ability to enjoy endorphins
• Reduce core body temperature
Source: Jeff Galloway.com
Jeff’s run/walk/run method has only grown in popularity. There are over 95 Galloway training groups across the US, and even a few across the globe! Jeff has written multiple best selling books and speaks at events around the US. And let’s not forget that he runs at numerous events each year!
Jeff is the official training consultant of runDisney and many utilize his training plans for their first (or fiftieth) runDisney race. Megan is an avid proponent of the Galloway run/walk/run method as she has used the method during multiple training cycles and races. She has also experienced e-coaching with Jeff! The best part about the run/walk/run method is that you can determine what interval length is best for you! (And don’t discount the shorter intervals, they often result in the same overall paces as the longer intervals.)
The Galloway Run Walk Run method
• A smart way to run – by giving you congnitive control over each workout.
• Allows you to carry on all of your life activities – even after long runs
• Motivates beginners to get off of the couch and run
• Bestows running joy to non-stop runners who had given up
• Helps improve finish times in all races
• Gives all runners control over fatigue
• Delivers all of the running enhancements without exhaustion or pain
Source: Jeff Galloway.com
The Galloway run/walk/run method is widely used at runDisney races. (Just listen for the timers going off throughout the races!) Push yourself farther than you ever dreamed possible, while still enjoying all the excitement a runDisney event has to offer! It is a great way to start your running journey, and experience your first runDisney event!